Monday, November 17, 2008

Transition Reflection 2004

Transition (August 17, 2004).

Last night the in-laws and some of their children were over at our place for dinner. At the conclusion, my spouse made the request that we declare where we each are at present, in our lives. When it was my turn to speak, I withheld. I said that it had always been my goal to live a life of vitality; that is, to be vital. I also said that I had designed my life to permit me to live that way. I then went on to describe some of the things I want to do: learn Spanish fluently, and take up welding, perhaps to build motorcycles. However, I also said I am not willing to do what everybody else is doing (presently, motorcycle building families is a topic on several cable TV channels).

But I didn’t say the core things. Why? Well, I’m in the process of re-evaluating my life. I do that from time to time. I have worked myself into a kind of “lull” in my business and I am in a kind of “maintenance” mode; I have no pressing outside commitments; my youngest child is just about complete with college (he would have been complete but for a breakdown which caused him to postpone graduation) and I have some assets, have a program and I and am on track.

So what are the core things I didn't reveal at the conclusion of dinner? Well, the big question is, what am I to do with the next 20 years of my life? I have a “good” 20 years or so remaining, God willing and I am beginning to look at “phasing myself out of business”. I am planning on working full time for another four years and then moving into a “part time” mode for another four years. That will get me to the pleasant age of 66. However, that brings up the question of “For what future endeavor am I phasing myself out? “or to put it succinctly, “what am I going to do with the rest of my life?”

I have begun to move in my stated direction; however, what then remains is the question “what exactly am I to do to remain vital?”

I have been fortunate to have been born at the end of the Industrial Age and with a skill set that made me useful. I also was fortunate to have had an education, both formal and informal, which provided me with insights and tools to pursue a reasonable life.

Well, here I am having celebrated my 58th birthday. The world is changing, and as I like to say, “The only constant is change”. Now don’t get me wrong, I have never really liked being a part of change. I am inherently lazy. I don’t like to take risks, I don’t like to work hard and I don’t like unknowns.

My customer base is changing (shrinking??) at what appears to be an increasing rate. That's sort of aligned with my intentions. I have achieved a modest success at this point in my life. The children have completed or nearly completed college. The youngest will probably complete his BS degree in December 2004.

This affords me an opportunity to look at what is next. That’s somewhat unsettling. I never did like this kind of introspection and reflection. Why? Well, I’ll probably get some insights into what makes me tick and will be compelled to make some declaration or other about the direction my life is to take. And then off I will go!

No comments:

Post a Comment